Residency Declaration Form

If you wish to claim Hawai‘i residency, or qualify for an exemption (ex. military orders, Native Hawaiian ancestry), you must complete this form.  For more information, please see Residency Requirements for Tuition Purposes.

Note:  This form may only be used by entering law students at the William S. Richardson School of Law.

This eight digit number appears in your admissions decision email. If you do not know it, please email Elisabeth at
In order to be considered a resident for tuition purposes, you must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident for at least one calendar year (365 days).

Section A

e.g., State of Hawaiʻi General Excise License, Employment Verification, Bank Account Active in Hawaiʻi, Lease Agreement, Proof of Property Ownership

If you do not claim legal residency in Hawaiʻi, please skip to Section D.

Section B - Parent/Legal Guardian

If you are less than 19 years old and/or are claimed as a dependent, your parent/legal guardian must complete and sign this section.

e.g., State of Hawaiʻi General Excise License, Employment Verification, Bank Account Active in Hawaiʻi, Lease Agreement, Proof of Property Ownership

Section C

Section D

Nonresidents may be allowed to pay resident tuition if they qualify for one of the following exemptions.

Citizens of an eligible Pacific island district, commonwealth, territory, or insular jurisdiction, state, or nation which does not provide public institutions that grant baccalaureate degrees may be allowed to pay 150% of the resident tuition.


Attach the following items to your residency form. If a document is too large to attach to this form, please email it directly to

Claiming Hawai‘i residency for fewer than two years prior to the first day of classes (August 25, 2014) Hawai‘i tax, employment, and/or voter registration documents.
If you are claimed as a dependent on your parents' or legal guardians' tax returns, they will also need to submit these documents.
Pacific Island Citizen (as defined under Residency Exemptions) Official Certification of Domicile Form.pdf
Current military service member or dependent assigned to Hawai‘i Verification of Military Assignment in Hawai‘i Form.pdf and a copy of your military orders
Not a Hawai‘i resident, but have Native Hawaiian Ancestry Copies of your birth certificate, and if necessary, those of your parents and/or grandparents documenting your Hawaiian ancestry.  See Office of Hawaiian Affairs Genealogy Resources.



I certify that the responses provided on this Residency Form are complete and true to the best of my knowledge and belief.

I agree to produce certified documents relative to the determination of my residency status upon request and that the provision of incorrect information regarding  my residency declaration will also subject me to the requirements and/or disciplinary measures provided by the University's rules and regulations governing the determination of residency for admission and tuition purposes.

Furthermore, I understand that the UH System shares a common database and information pertaining to me may be accessed by all UH campuses.

This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.


Elisabeth Steele Hutchison

Director of Admissions
Office phone
(808) 956-5557