Lawrence C. Foster '81
- Professor of Law
- BA University of Washington 1967
- PhD University of Washington 1974
- JD William S. Richardson School of Law 1981
Dr. Foster served as Associate Dean for eight years and Dean for eight and a half years (1995-2003). He came to the School of Law as Associate Dean in 1987 after six years in private practice in Honolulu.
Before obtaining his legal education, Dr. Foster received a PhD in Chinese Studies and taught Chinese language at the University of Hawai`i, Western Washington State University, and at the University of Washington.
He was an East-West Center grantee during law school and served as articles editor of The University of Hawai`i Law Review. Dr. Foster has lived and traveled extensively in Asia.
- President, East-West Center Alumni Association
- Member, Governing Council, Inter-Pacific Bar Association
- Member, Board of Trustees, Tokai University’s Hawaii campus
- China Law Reader (in progress, a language text book on Chinese law)
- Foreign Investment in the PRC Logistics Sector, 3.3 CHINA L. REP. 21 (May 2007) (with Charles Wang).
- Principal Investigator, Grant from the University of Hawai‘i’s National Resource Center-East Asia Federal Grant to develop and edit the China Law Reader, (Summer 2009).
- Member, Planning Committee, East-West Center Association’s Biennial Alumni Conference, Bali, Indonesia, October 2008.
- Arbitrator, Shanghai Arbitration Commission.
- Elected Member, Governing Council of the Inter-Pacific Bar Association. Re-elected to second term in 2008 (2005-present).
- Legal Advisor, American Chamber of Commerce in Shanghai.
- Trustee, Tokai University-Hawaii Campus.
- Ex-Officio member, Board of Governors, East-West Center.
- President, East-West Center Associates (the international alumni association of the East-West Center).