Leina'ala R. Seeger
- Associate Professor of Law
Professor Seeger joined the law faculty in 1997. She was Director of the Law Library and tenured as Associate Professor of Law at the University of Idaho College of Law from 1989-96. She taught first-year Legal Research from 1989-92, and directed the Summer Foreign Law Program in Staffordshire, England in 1994-95. She previously served as Associate Law Librarian at Harvard Law School, the University of Puget Sound (now Seattle University) School of Law, and the McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific.
Professor Seeger has been active in the American Association of Law Libraries (AALL), serving as Chair/Vice-Chair of the Education (1991-93) and Minorities (1991, member 1990-92) Committees and as President/President-Elect of AALL's Western-Pacific Chapter (1989-91). Her Association of American Law Schools (AALS) service includes chairing its Committee on Libraries and Technology in 1998-99 (member,1997-2000), and membership on the Executive Board of the Section on Law Libraries (2000-2004). She has also served on American Bar Association-sponsored law school site evaluation teams.
Professor Seeger teaches Legal Research and Writing, which is also her area of research and writing.
- Book Chapter, State-by-State Report on Permanent Public Access to Electronic Government Information. Chicago, Ill.: American Association of Law Libraries, Government Relations Committee and Washington Affairs Office, June 2003. 282 p.
- Hawai`i State Report [Summary], p. 80-84; Appendix A, p. 13-15; Appendix B: p. 13-14; Appendix C: Survey Report: Hawai`i, 37 p.
- Hawai`i State Practice Materials: A Selective Annotated Bibliography in Frank G. Houdek, ed., STATE PRACTICE MATERIALS: ANNOTATED BIBLIOGRAPHIES (Buffalo, N. Y.: William S. Hein & Co., 2003). (AALL Publication Series no. 63) 51 p.
- Special Feature: A Tribute to Julius J. Marke: Vignettes of Julius J. Marke, 96 LAW LIBR. J. 17, 36-37 (2004).
- Reminiscences of Viola A. Bird, 97 LAW LIBR. J.209, 226-227 (2005).
- Hawai`i Prestatehood Legal Materials, in 1 A-M, PRESTATEHOOD LEGAL MATERIALS: A Fifty-State Research Guide, Including New York City and the District of Columbia 287-330 (Michael G. Chiorazzi and Marguerite Most, eds., 2006).
- Hawai`i Legal Documents: A Bibliography Of Legal And Law-Related Materials, to be published in the AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF LAW LIBRARIES GOVERNMENT DOCUMENTS SERIES (forthcoming 2009).
- Hawai`i Legislative History and Intent, to be published as chapter in 50-state/D.C. symposium issue of LEGAL REFERENCE SERVICES QUARTERLY (forthcoming 2009).
Recent Awards, Appointments, Grants & Honors
- Member, China-United States Conference on Legal Information and Law Libraries Steering Committee, 2006-present; Public Relations Subcommittee, 2007- present .
- Program Chair, Western Pacific Chapter of the American Association of Law Libraries Annual Conference “Legal Connections – Hawai`i and the Pacific Rim,” Honolulu, October 11-13, 2007; Member, Education Committee, 2006-10.
- Member, law school sabbatical accreditation team, American Bar Association, November 2-5, 2008.
- Founding member, Native Hawaiian Librarians Association, 2009-present.
- Hawai`i chapter author, PRESTATEHOOD LEGAL MATERIALS: A FIFTY-STATE RESEARCH GUIDE… (Chiorazzi/Most, eds., Haworth, 2005), recipient of the Joseph L. Andrews Bibliographic Award, American Association of Law Libraries, July 2007.
- Recipient, 2009 Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) collections award, June, 2009.