Eligibility for these external scholarships may be based on financial need, academic achievement, and extracurricular activities. These external sites are provided for your information and are not endorsed by the UH Law School. To suggest a link, please email email@example.com. Mahalo!
- Admissions Dean Law School Scholarship Finder
- Career InfoNet (Search by Keyword - Law)
- Smart Student Guide to Financial Aid
- AAJ Women for Justice Education Fund's Mike Eidson Scholarship $5,000.00 awarded annually to a rising 3L (or rising 4L in a night program) female student who has demonstrated a commitment to a career as a plaintiffs’ lawyer or criminal defense lawyer
- Appelman Law Firm Criminal Defense Law Scholarship
- Farzad Family Law Scholarship - Essay Contest
- The Federal Circuit Bar Association - Several scholarships for students "showing a demonstrable interest in one of the man
y topics that lie within the procedure, substance, or scope of the jurisdiction of the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit (e.g., international trade, government contracts, patents,
trademarks, certain money claims against the United States government, federal personnel, and veterans’ benefits)"
- John R. Justice (JRJ) Grant Program
- Mark T. Banner Scholarship for Law Students To foster the development of intellectual property lawyers of high ethics, civility and professionalism, and especially those from diverse backgrounds.
- Trusp Young Lawyers Scholarship One $1000 scholarship for the best essay on the importance of employment law in America
- Judge John R. Brown Scholarship Foundation: Brown Award for Excellence in Legal Writing
For a comprehensive list of legal writing competitions, please visit the Legal Writing Competitions Blog, maintained by the University of Arkansas School of Law Research and Writing Program.
- ABA Legal Opportunity Scholarship Fund (New Students)
- 2013-14 Donald W. Banner Diversity Scholarship
- George V. Powell Diversity Scholarship Program The George V. Powell Scholar will be a summer associate in Lane Powell’s Seattle or Portland office and receive a $7,500 scholarship toward tuition and expenses during the student’s third year of law school.
- 2014 Law School Diversity Scholarship (DRI Voice of the Defense Bar) .pdf
- American Samoa Bar Association Legal Education Scholarship
- Asian & Pacific Islander American Scholarship Fund
- Associated Chinese University Women Scholarship Award
- Finnegan Diversity Scholarship Provides financial support to qualified diverse students who demonstrate a commitment to pursuing a career in intellectual property law
- Fredrikson & Byron Foundation Minority Scholarship Program
- George Corey Scholarship $10,000 for law students of color whose spirit, drive and commitment leads them to pursue a career in the legal profession and who have demonstrated leadership in improving the quality of life in their communities and/or schools.
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund College Scholarship Program
- Latham Diversity Scholars Program Six $10,000 scholarships to second-year students chosen for academic and leadership achievements, life experiences and challenges that have shaped values, and a desire to practice at a global law firm and contribute to its diversity objectives.
- MCCA Lloyd M. Johnson, Jr. Scholarship Program Fifteen $10,000 scholarships available to diverse 1Ls who have overcome obstacles, are outstanding and promising scholars, have an interest in corporate law, and possess a commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund Law School Scholarship Five to ten scholarships of $5,000 to students who have demonstrated a commitment to advancing Latino civil rights in their careers
- Michigan Auto Law Diversity Scholarship
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association Law Foundation Scholarships and Fellowship
- The National Italian American Foundation
- Patsy Takemoto Mink Education Foundation Scholarship Five awards of up to $5000 each to assist low-income women with children who are pursuing education or training
See also Summer.
- Dwyer Williams Potter Attorneys LLP A $1,000 scholarship to students entering law school in the fall of 2014. The scholarship is available to students graduating from an Oregon University, who have been accepted to an accredited law school anywhere in the United States.
- W.L. Mackenzie King Memorial Scholarships (Canadian)
- Korean American Scholarship Fund Western Region Scholarships
- Lionel Murphy Overseas Postgraduate Scholarships (Australian)
- Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowships for New Americans
- Faith C. Ai Memorial Scholarship Fund Qualifying individuals in, or from, the state of Hawaii who intend to become teachers
- Hawaiʻi Pacific Gerontological Society (HPGS)/ Assisted Living Options Hawaiʻi (ALOH) Graduate Scholarship $1,000 scholarship to students pursuing goals related to careers in gerontology or geriatrics
- Maui County Bar Association Arthur T. Ueoka Scholarship .pdf Contact: William A. Sloper, Esq. (808) 270-7630
- First Nations Futures Program Fellowship
- Hawaiian Civic Club of Honolulu To recognize academic achievement and to facilitate Hawaiians in their quest to attain higher levels of education, thus improving representation of Hawaiians at post-secondary schools and equipping them with the academic tools necessary to improve their economic welfare
- Hawaiʻi Community Foundation
- Kamehameha Schools Click "Post-High"
- Ke Ali‘i Pauahi Foundation
- Kua'ana Native Hawaiian Student Development Services Tuiton Waiver Application
- Kua'ana Merit Scholarship - scholarships to students planning on attending the UH Manoa after high school. For more information, or for an application contact Ku'umeaaloha Gomes, Director, at 956-5945.
- Liko A'e Native Hawaiian Leadership Program
- Office of Hawaiian Affairs Scholarships
- East-West Center Scholarship/Fellowship
- Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship ($15,000 stipend and tuition for up to 9 credits per semester) The FLAS application for East Asian languages (Chinese, Japanese, and Korean) will be accessible at the UH scholarship website at www.star.hawaii.edu/scholarship. Both continuing and incoming students can log on and search for “FLAS.” The site accepts applications from mid-November. The FLAS application for Southeast Asian languages (Cambodian, Filipino, Indonesian, Thai, and Vietnamese) is at: www.cseashawaii.org/studet/scholarships/flas/.
- Starr Foundation Graduate Fellowship in Asian Studies To assist graduate students in Asian Studies w/field study expenses, summer language study, research or conference travel & general study expenses.
- The Moscotti Fellowship for Graduate Studies of Southeast Asia To assist full-time, classified graduate students in a degree program at UHM in any department or program in the arts, humanities or social sciences whose area of focus is Southeast Asia.
- The Association for Asian Studies - Grants and Fellowships and Prizes
- Air & Waste Management Association (A&WMA) recognizes outstanding students who are pursuing courses of study and research leading to careers in air quality, waste management, environmental management/policy/law, and sustainability.
- American Water Resources Association Richard A. Herbert Memorial Scholarship At least one $2,000 scholarship will also be awarded to a full-time graduate student enrolled in a program relating to water resources.
- Annie's Sustainable Agricultural Scholarship Assists undergraduate and graduate students who are pursuing studies in Sustainable and Organic Agriculture.
- Beveridge & Diamond Constitutional Environmental Law Writing Competition Any topic addressing developments or trends in U.S. environmental law that have a significant constitutional or “federalism” component.
- American Planning Association - Planning and Law Division Daniel J. Curtin, Jr. Fellowship Program To foster increased interest in the study of land use planning and its interrelationship with the law at the advanced undergraduate, graduate, and law school levels.
- American Planning Association - Smith-Babcock-Williams Student Writing Competition The winner will be awarded a prize of $2,500 and will be submitted for publication in The Urban Lawyer, the law journal of the American Bar Association's Section of State & Local Government Law.
- Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE) Sustainability Awards To reward students who are dedicated to sustainability and helping them build a strong network in the environmental community.
- Environmental Protection Agency Fellowships & Scholarships
- The Journal of Environmental Investing Scholarship Program To reward graduate students who write an original, rigorous, and interdisciplinary work of scholarship in a critical area of environmental investing.
- The Wilderness Society To help undergraduate and graduate student interested in land conservation and wilderness protection the change to hone real-world skills.
See also internal Environmental Law Program Awards and Fellowships.
- Davis Levin Livingston, a Hawaii law firm, is offering a $3000 scholarship for the upcoming fall semester to a law student who intends to practice public interest law. Recipients must fill out and submit the application by July 1, 2014.
- Byron Hanke Fellowship
- Postgraduate Public Interest Fellowships: Application Deadline List
- Japanese American Citizens League Honolulu Chapter Emerging Leader Scholarship $1,000 award will be given to the applicant that best demonstrates a commitment to civil rights
- ABA Antitrust Summer Fellowship
- The Robert Masur Fellowship The fellowship competition is open to first-year law students who intend to carry out significant activities during the summer (in between their first and second year) in the areas of civil rights and/or civil liberties.
- Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Summer Fellowship ($2,500 stipend and tuition up to $4,000) for U.S. citizen or permanent resident graduate students who will enroll in a formal summer program of intensive language study in Southeast Asia with 120 contact hours in language level 3 & level 4.
- Arent Fox Annual Diversity Scholarship Program
- Baker Donelson Diversity Scholarship
- Cooley Godward Kronish LLP Diversity Fellowship Program
- Faegre & Benson Diversity Scholarship Program
- The Milbank Diversity Scholars Program
- Winston & Strawn Diversity Scholarship
- UH Employee (and their spouses or domestic partners) Tuition Waiver
- UH Graduate Division Achievement Scholarship
- UH Scholarships on the UH Financial Aid Services Website
- University of Hawaii Foundation Scholarships
- Nobumoto Tanahashi Peace Fellowship for Graduate Students
- Phillip Jacob Peace Memorial Award
- Gender Equity Fellowship at the Office of the Gender Equity
Specialist at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa - Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details
United States military personnel and their authorized dependents (as defined by the Armed Services) during the period such personnel are stationed in Hawai‘i on active duty and members of the Hawai‘i National Guard and Hawai‘i-based Reserves may be allowed to pay resident tuition. Please see Residency Requirements.
- Veterans Affairs at UH Mānoa
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Post-911/GI Bill at UH Manoa
- Judge Advocate General's Corp (JAG) Links: Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines, Navy
- US Department of Education - Federal Student Aid For Military Families
- Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program: Our JD program does not qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program for the 2013-2014 academic year. For more information, please see http://manoa.hawaii.edu/records/veterans/post_911.html
- Paralyzed Veterans of America
Office of the General Counsel
ATTN: Debra L. Luzietti-Myers, Esq., Professional Outreach
801 18th Street, NW
Washington D.C., 20006
Phone: (202) 416-7677 OR (800) 424-8200 ext.677
Several awards of $3,000. Applicant must be a current law student interested in the law of veterans’ benefits and/or disability law. In addition, Applicant must agree to represent, on a pro bono basis, one veteran client per year for three years (three veteran clients total) after graduation from law school and admission to the bar.